Thursday, August 11, 2011

Books and Puzzles!

Now that summer is nearly over (well, the heat isn't - but summer break is!) I've spent some time reflecting on our most treasured activities.  The first thing that comes to mind is books.

I've read some really outstanding stories in the past two months.  The first was a book written by a friend of a friend and I gasped when I saw it on the bookshelf at the library.


What I liked about this book: This girl can write.  I've been sitting her for five minutes considering what to say about this book.  She's a master storyteller, that's for sure.  "The Tiger's Wife" is about a young doctor and her grandfather, but it's also about war.  It's about chaos.  It's quite possibly one of the smartest books I've read in awhile, very insightful about human suffering.  But it's not a sad book.  Lord, just google the title and read a review.  I enjoyed it, and that's what matters!



What I liked about this book: First off, it's actually a series.  Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  To me, it was Harry Potter meets Ender's Game meets Brave New World meets The Giver.  If you liked any of those books (or all of them!) you won't regret picking up this series.  My tip - check out all three at once from the library!  They are one day reads (even for my husband!).


What I liked about this book: Maeve Binchy is my favorite author if all time. Her book "Circle of Friends" was made into a movie and "The Glass Lake" is my number one book. This one does not disappoint!  This story (like most of her others) takes place in Ireland and is about people, their relationships and how they make life work in the face of hardship.  Heartwarming, engaging, genuine, this book is a hot cup of cocoa for the soul.


For younger audiences, Julianne recommends:


All of the "Llama, Llama" books are great.  They discuss, in a way that kids can relate to, everyday challenges.  In "Llama Llama Red Pajama" baby Llama is afraid of the dark.  Other stories explore being mad and bored at the grocery store and the first day of school.



One if our newest favorite things to do as a couple is puzzles!  We put the girls to bed and get to work.


The idea was, when we were done we would mount it for our room - which is an ocean theme.  This puzzle took over our dining table for WEEKS, and when we were finally done we found that one piece was missing (do you see it?).





I hate to blame Juji, but I'm pretty sure she had something to do with it.









3 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for the book recommendations because I am desperate!
    Also, I love the llama books so much.
    Also, also, we are total puzzle people over here. My mom gets a new puzzle every year for Christmas and we all sit around and do it until it's so late we can't see straight.
    I'm glad you found the missing piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait DID you find the missing piece??

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi girls!!! nope , it hasn't been located yet. :o( The puzzle is currently sitting on a piece of cardboard above our entertainment center just in case it turns up soon!

    ReplyDelete