Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Sister, the Culinary Genius

Since we've got a couple of kids, we tend to eat-in.  In fact, the last time we took both the girls out, Julianne didn't like it and threw up into Bret's hands.  So you see, we prefer to save our precious eat-out experiences for ourselves. We're selfish like that.  Also, that was a totally gross experience.

I tend to get into "food funks" where I happen upon really amazing dishes and then totally wear them out.   Does this happen to anyone else?  I've started meal planning in an effort to "trim the fat" in our daily budget (and waistlines!) and my sister turned me onto a really fabulous recipe that I'm sure you will love!

Katie, Me and Kasiah


Yummy Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps and Rice

4 Chicken Breasts
1 Jar of Kona Sauce (We've tried Island Teriyaki and Garlic Teriyaki) 
Broccoli
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 yellow bell pepper
1 can of water chesnuts
some carrots, julienned
a head of lettuce
and rice, which you just make as directed

START THE RICE!

I began by cleaning my chicken in a colander.  I got a really big family package, so I cleaned them all and then put 4 breasts in a ziplock in the freezer (for a chicken broccoli rice bake next week) and cut the remaining 4 breasts into bite-size pieces.  

I put the chicken in a pan with olive oil and cooked until they were nearly done. Then I added the teriyaki.  While that simmered, I finished chopping my veggies and added them to the pan.  

Cut the lettuce head in half and then take off the top layers that people touched (that's what I do!).  Clean the layers underneath.

Once everything is done, wrap the chicken in the lettuce and serve with a side of the rice topped with the extra juices!  So healthy and delicious.

This is an amazing Moscato that my dad turned us onto.  Bartenura, from Italy.

The final product

What the Kona Sauce looks like.  I found it for $2.75 at WalMart.

THANKS, KATIE!





1 comment:

  1. Those wraps look amazing. I will make them and report back!

    ReplyDelete