Monday, September 19, 2011

What a Difference Six Months Makes!

This past spring, we tried putting Julianne into dance class.  It was a complete failure.  I suffered the thirty minute (plus!) drive (each way!!!) to the studio at the far end of Palm Springs every week for two months.  It was miserable. Julianne didn't want to be in the room without me.  Clearly she wasn't ready, but I thought she just needed to keep trying until she got comfortable (I swear, I need a damn parent manual).  Serious Mommy fail. She would start off in the class and run to the door to get me every.single.time.  I tried talking to her about on the way to class, on the way home (we always left early in a huff, it was a nightmare) and during the week.  Still, she cried and ran to Mama.

I didn't think it was supposed to be so terrible for both parent and child, so we pulled her from the class.  Wouldn't you know that seeing a video of a friend in a dance recital this summer sparked her interest in dance?  It was a month before classes resumed, and for that month she talked of little else besides ballet.  I took her to a different teacher who had some great reviews and prest-o, change-o - we have ourselves a little dancer!!!

I think activities for kids is like potty training - they'll let you know when they are ready. Poor Julianne, it's rough being the first born. I take comfort in the fact that I was first born and don't remember being the guinea pig as much as I let my parents think I do. heehee.

Tinker Belle


We were 30 minutes early to her first class.  She had her ballet slippers on at 5am!!!  My darling baby was so excited!

Kasiah, being forced to play with a boy.

Juji is second from the right.  I am getting really fancy with her hair.  This past week I totally upped the ante...I need to post those pictures!

And here is a quick video, for you viewing pleasure:


No comments:

Post a Comment