We've had another milestone!
For nearly three years (well, over three years if you count the time I was cooking her) I've spent just about all day with Julianne. There are a handful of times we've left her with family to go on dates, and that one time when I had another baby, but for the most part she's been my little buddy - always there. I know a lot of people who do sleepovers at Grandma and Grandpa's and take weekends, but we never got around to it because - quite honestly - Julianne never adjusted to other people watching her. No joke, we would be gone for three hours and she would cry the whole time. It broke my heart.
This all started changing when she turned two. Finally, we were able to leave her for a couple of hours with no problem. Then Kasiah came along and her world turned upside down - in a good way, mostly. We could still leave her for a few hours, but no more without a meltdown. Until yesterday.
We spent the night at Moomaw's Farm Wednesday night, but had to leave early early early so Bret could make his teeth cleaning appointment. Imagine our surprise when Julianne declared, "I want to stay with Poopaw." Say what?! We explained it would be all day. She said, "You go." Bret rolled his eyes - I got his meaning. Usually she would come crying when the car started up - she hated us leaving.
Once everything was loaded we went out to the swing to say goodbye - and she let us. Hugs, kisses, some "See you later's" were exchanged and our daughter didn't give us a second thought as we made the long walk across the grass to the car.
We were stunned. And we missed her all day.
Apparently she had the time of her life with Poopaw. They went the store and picked up a new pink swing so that Juji and Kasiah can swing from the tree at the same time. They stopped at the Mommy and Me park and went swinging (can you tell Julianne loves swings?) and flicked wood chips off of the slide. They ate grapes, chased babbits (that's not a typo), ran ran ran, and had a long nap. And on the way home, my daughter begged my dad to let her stay the night. Um, WHAT?!
Instead he took her for a hamburger where Julianne delighted other customers by hollering, "MORE KETCHUP POOPS!" On the way out everyone said goodbye to the little blonde curly-headed mop and "Poops".
And when Julianne threw open the door and declared, "Hey Guys!" her sister laughed and kicked her legs. Peter and Adelaide came out from their hiding spots and Bret and I delighted in hearing her silly little voice again.
We always said that she would be the one to decide when she was ready for being away from us, I just never thought it would come so soon.
Christmas 2009
Julianne (15 months) and Poopaw
This is so sweet. Olivia has had the opportunity to really build a relationship with my dad while we've been living with my parents and I've really noticed that the grandpa-granddaughter relationship is so special! Nobody spoils like a grandpa! (despite their best efforts!)
ReplyDeleteAnd that bottom picture is darling. Love!
what a special day!! i am sure they will both always treasure it, especially Poops!! I LOVE that he took her out for the day, what a guy!!
ReplyDelete